Congratulations to the M&M boys (Larry Meirndorf and Randy Mastin, pictured here with GLAGA past president Dave Lee) for their Championship flight victory in the Rehmann Team Match Play at Hawk Hollow and Eagle Eye the weekend of July 8-9.
Here is a complete recap of the event, with results from all of the matches.
* * * * *
Junior Tournament (July 21) entries and Fossum Scholarship applications are available
All City Championship is Aug. 4-6 at Forest Akers
- GLAGA’s Junior Tournament – which will be held Friday, July 21, at Meridian Sun Golf Club in Haslett – is open to the children of GLAGA members. Any participant who will be 17 years or younger by July 20, 2017, qualifies as a “junior” for this event. In addition, one who is 18 years of age but has not graduated from high school also qualifies as a “junior” for this tournament.
Entry fees are $7 for under 10 (4 holes); $10 for ages 10-11 (9 holes); and $14 for ages 12-older (18 holes). Non-members can participate, but an additional $5 fee applies.
Here is an updated list of entries and tee times for Friday's tournament.
- Coach Bruce Fossum Collegiate Golf Scholarship: The Greater Lansing Amateur Golf Association once again will award up to $2,500 in academic scholarship monies to deserving Lansing area young men and women. The determined scholarship amount may be used to defray expenses at any accredited two or four-year college or university.
* The Applicant must be either a graduating Class of 2017 high school senior in good standing or an enrolled student in an accredited college or university for the 2017 Fall Semester.
* The Applicant must have or have had a minimum high school grade point average of 3.0.
* The Applicant should have participated in high school golf, been part of a junior golf program, or be the child of an active GLAGA member.
Click here for an application.
- Last, but certainly not least, the annual Pop-ity Popcorn All City Championship will be played Aug. 4-6 at Forest Akers. Entry fees for the 54-hole stroke play event are $125 for GLAGA members, $145 for nonmembers. Players will compete in Open, Women’s, Senior (50 and older) and Super Senior (65 and older) divisions. Carts and range balls are extra each day.
* * * * *
Open championship winner Dan Ault will be a senior at Oakland University.
Ault, Borges emerge victorious in 2017 Mid-Michigan Match Play at The Emerald
MAPLE RAPIDS -- Congratulations to both Dan Ault and Edson Borges for their victories Sunday afternoon in the championship flight finals of the Open and Senior divisions, respectively, at The Emerald Golf Course.
Ault, who recently completed his junior season at Oakland University, defeated Christian Richard 2 & 1, while Borges defeated Jim Brija 1-up.
The victory was a redemption of sorts for the wily Borges, who two weeks ago let a first-round lead at the Spring Medal slip away at Timber Ridge.
"We'll chalk that one up as a learning experience," said Borges, as he calmly accepted his winner's prize. (Click here for a photo gallery of Sunday's winners.)
The runner-up finish for Brija was his second consecutive strong showing this season. He carded a 77 in the second round of the Spring Medal to capture top honors in the Senior 1st flight that day.
Meanwhile, in other finals matches on Sunday:
- In what could be his GLAGA swan song before relocating this summer to Florida this summer, Smith Patterson outlasted a very determined Jim Jakubowski 1-up to win the Senior 1st flight title. For many years Patterson has been a jack of all trades for the association. His good humor, sense of sportsmanship, knowledge of the game -- and the GLAGA members -- will be genuinely missed;
- GLAGA stalwart Karl Bohnhoff turned back Joe Allen, 2 & 1, to win the Senior 2nd flight;
- Matt Forell, who won the Open 1st flight, 2 & 1, over Connor Shantz, also took home the tournament good guy award for turning in loose cash he found on the course during Sunday's finals.he
Results from the semifinals, Open championship: Ault d. Blake Brogan, 1-up, Richard d. Trevor Raymond, 4 & 3. In the Open 1st flight, Shantz d. Zeke Fletcher, 2-up, Forell d. Alex Magee 2-up.
In the Senior championship semifinals, Borges d. Randy Mastin 1-up, Brija d. Doug Burt, 4 & 2. In the Senior 1st flight, Patterson d. Larry Meirndorf, 4 & 3, Jakubowski d. Andy Garza, 2 & 1. In the Senior 2nd flight semis, Bohnhoff d. Doug Barnes, 3 & 2, while Allen d. Matt Slocum, 7 & 6.
Here are the complete Mid-Michigan Match Play results from each bracket, including stroke play scores.
Many thanks to all who participated and to all who helped make this a successful event, especially our friend and sponsor: Matt (Jersey Giant) Slocum.
The next two stops on the GLAGA tour are:
- July 8-9, Rehmann Team Match Play (2-person event) @ Hawk Hollow and Eagle Eye.
- Aug. 4-6, All City Championship @ Forest Akers.
Our annual Junior Championship will be played this year at Meridian Sun on Friday, July 21.
As always, check www.glaga.org for tournament details and instructions how to sign up for future events.
* * * * *
Pictured from left to right: Keith Kleimola (Open 1st Flight, runnerup), Jim Brija (Senior 1st Flight, winner),
GLAGA board member Doug Burt, Eric Prater (Senior 1st Flight, runnerup), Pete Salens (Open 1st Flight, winner).
Spring Medal results (at Timber Ridge) - Saturday/Sunday, May 20-21
Open / Championship Flight
1, Tim Coffey – 72-74-146
2, Russ Cunningham – 77-70-147
3, Tony Keim – 76-77-153
Chad Hines – 76-82-158
Christian Richard – 76-82-158
John Blasius – 75-84-159
Trent Tuttle – 80-80-160
Dylan Leece – 81-81-162
Trevor Raymond – 85-78-163
Pat McCarthy – 82-91-173
Rhett Ried – 85-99-184
Open / 1st Flight
1, Pete Salens – 88-81-169 (*won handicap hole tiebreaker)
2, Keith Kleimola – 86-83-169
3, Tyler Curtis – 86-85-171
Patrick Gillespie – 86-88-174
Scott Herzberg – 92-82-174
Craig Durham – 94-83-177
Jonathan Cook – 96-81-177
Alex Magee – 87-92-179
Sam Abood – 89-91-180
Kevin Folleth – 96-88-184
Dario Bongiorni – 96-92-188
Ashley Folleth – 101-108-209
Marc Protske – 111-109-220
Senior / Championship Flight
1, Mike Tungate – 83-74-157
2, Edson Borges – 77-84-161
3, Mike Mason – 77-86-163
Steve Rivard – 84-84-168
Mark Pickering – 84-84-168
Dan Balogh – 84-84-168
Jerry Laban – 86-85-171
Chip Solomon – 85-93-178
Senior / 1st Flight
1, Jim Brija – 87-77-164
2, Eric Prater – 87-80-167
Doug Burt – 89-89-178
Dooley Hord – 87-91-178
Paul Haddad – 91-93-184
Mike Fredbloom – 91-95-186
Gordie Shepherd – 97-96-193
Matt Slocum – 104-95-199
Emilio Gonzales – 121-121-242
Super Senior / Championship
Ron Clevenger – 86-88-174
Jim Downs – 93-94-187
Bill Dods – 95-94-189
Lou Klinger – 95-95-190